CONTACT of Mercer County, NJ offers emotional support to people in crisis or considering suicide to help increase their sense of well-being and desire to live. Utilizing non-judgmental crisis intervention and suicide prevention strategies, trained counselors help people feel safe, cared for, and listened to through focused telephone, chat, and text. CONTACT is currently not hiring for paid positions but if you are still interested in joining our team as a volunteer, please let us know. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 609.737.2000.
Chat & Text or Telephone Crisis Counselor
CONTACT operates New Jersey 988 Chat and Text, as well as the New Jersey 988 Telephone program. These programs are affiliated with the National 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline). CONTACT is seeking qualified, reliable, and dedicated chat and text, and telephone suicide prevention counselors to respond to internet chats and texts and telephone callers on a part-time basis. Responsibilities primarily consist of suicide prevention and intervention through active listening.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to chat and text and telephone visitors seeking counseling through the suicide and crisis lifeline utilizing active listening, proper protocol, and suicide prevention skills
- Complete case contact documentation requirements per case, while maintaining a reasonable chat/text/call flow
- Develop suicide and intervention plans, as needed
- Maintain confidentiality throughout employment with the organization and after separation
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Must successfully complete CONTACT’s training course
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English, including the ability to quickly type chat and text responses using a computer (for chat and text programs)
- Must have a personal computer/laptop with a secure and reliable internet connection and an intermediate level of PC and chat platform experience (for chat and text programs)
CONTACT’s trained counselors listen and help individuals feel safe, cared for, and listened to as we attempt to help those in need gain clarity so that they can find their way forward.
At CONTACT, we focus on employee professional development, growth, and self-care. We are accredited by the International Council for Helplines and by the American Association of Suicidology.
Employment with CONTACT will help you gain invaluable experience including active listening skills. You will be helping those in their darkest moments empower themselves while engaging in fulfilling work that is helping save lives.
Become a CONTACT Volunteer
Join the FREE training classes and learn how YOU can make a positive difference in the lives of others! The 10-week training course teaches:
- Strategies to help save lives
- Active listening skills
- Awareness of mental health issues
- About local community resources
Upon successful completion of the course, trained counselors will be qualified to respond to the New Jersey 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
CONTACT is committed to continuing to make diversity, equity and inclusion a core component of everything we do. Our mission of providing non-judgmental, emotional support, strength and compassion extends to both our employees and the communities we serve. We are committed to maintaining a diverse workforce and we are dedicated to raising awareness and reducing the stigma of mental health issues across all communities. CONTACT of Mercer County, NJ is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is part of the International Council for Helplines (ICH).